SLD Blog

Turtles & Dragonflies

It was a beautiful, sunny, Sunday afternoon. After a wonderful time of worship, I was looking forward to a quiet afternoon on the lake, in my kayak, communing with God and nature. Apparently, everyone in Rockland County had a similar idea because Harriman State Park was so crowded that several of the roads had been closed and I was forced to detour.

Very quickly I realized that I would have to drive about 45 minutes in order to get back to the lake. OK. My idyllic afternoon had been delayed. But I was determined to get there. So I took a deep breath and continued driving. When I finally arrived at the lake, it was so crowded that cars were double parked all over the parking lot, all along the driveway and even along the roadside. But I was not about to be thwarted. I drove down to the boat launch, unloaded my kayak, drove back up the hill and found a parking spot down the street. I schlepped myself and the rest of my gear back down to the lake in anticipation of a great afternoon.

As I approached the boat launch it became clear to me that this was not a beach launching, like I was used to; it was an actual dock. I would have to lower my kayak down into the water and try to get into it without tipping over – something at which I did not have a lot of experience. And I would have to do this in front of a huge crowd of strangers! My relaxing afternoon was quickly becoming complicated.

I decided to swallow my pride and ask for help. With the assistance of my new friends, I was able to get my kayak and myself into the lake. I was finally here and ready for some peace and quiet. Except that all around the shores of the lake, large groups of families were enjoying the beautiful afternoon – very loudly. As I paddled away from the shore, I began to notice the sound of cars and motorcycles noisily zooming around the lake. OK. It’s not going to be quiet. But I can still enjoy a paddle.

I very carefully took my cell phone out of my dry bag to text my husband and let him know where I was. As I looked at the screen I noticed that I had just missed a FaceTime call from my granddaughter! Quickly, I dialed her back and was disappointed to realize that out on the lake I had no signal. My shoulders slumped. Would it never end?! Was my afternoon destined to be filled with complications, inconvenience and disappointment?

For more than an hour I paddled and drifted, listened and watched, content to just be with God, in His creation and in His arms.

I pressed on, paddling across the lake into an isolated cove. And suddenly, there it was: quiet, peace, solitude. I watched a dragonfly land silently on the bow of my kayak. Tiny, intricate and beautiful, its body was a rainbow of prismatic color, its wings, translucent. Then there was another one and another. There were dozens of them, flitting over the surface of the water. In complete silence. I stopped paddling and just drifted, watching and listening. I began to hear the birds calling out to one another and the cicadas chirping rhythmically. I watched a turtle sitting on a rock, perfectly still, basking in the sun – nowhere to go, nothing to do, no worries.

The frustration of the previous hours melted away and I was in the presence of God. For more than an hour I paddled and drifted, listened and watched, content to just be with God, in His creation and in His arms.


Written by Lt. Col. Patricia LaBossiere
Secretary for Spiritual Life Development

Previous post

Después de la crisis

Next post

Relevents: Christina Schweitzer