Garbage Bag Gala goes virtual
After canceling last year’s show due to the COVID–19 pandemic, The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Camden, N.J., will once again hold its Annual Garbage Bag Gala Fashion Show on Friday, June 4, 2021, from 7–9 p.m. This year, the event will be hosted virtually.
The runway fashion show will take place at the Kroc Center while attendees watch from home via livestream. The fashion show will feature 20 unique garments created from recycled and unconventional materials by fashion design students at Drexel University’s Westphal College of Media Arts and Design.
For the first time, several well–known journalists from local television and radio stations have volunteered to serve as celebrity models during the show. Confirmed celebrities include:
- Cecily Tynan, chief meteorologist, 6abc Action News
- Janelle Burell, morning and noon anchor, CBS 3 Eyewitness News
- Llarisa Abreu, meteorologist, CBS 3 Eyewitness News
- Jennifer Lewis–Hall, host and producer of PHL17’s public affairs program, “In Focus”
- Joy Soto, community voices & engagement fellow, WHYY
- Nancy Volpe Beringer, acclaimed red carpet designer, runner–up winner of TV’s “Project Runaway,” and Garbage Bag Gala show producer
Proceeds from the Gala will go to support programs to assist local Camden families at the Kroc Center.
Angela Barnshaw, Garbage Bag Gala committee chairperson, said, “The Kroc Center truly does incredible work to serve a struggling population. So many special events have been missed during COVID; we knew we needed to make this sixth year the best.”
Captain Pamela Maynor, Kroc Center associate administrator, shared in Barnshaw’s enthusiasm. “The Garbage Bag Gala is a one–of–a–kind fashion show that spotlights rejuvenation and inclusion. We’re very excited to showcase the hard work and talent of these extraordinary designers, all to help support amazing local families impacted by a most challenging year.”
by Ben Ovadia and Hugo Bravo
For tickets and information about the Garbage Bag Gala, visit give.salvationarmy.org/camdengala2021.